If you haven’t been to Birch Hill Recreation Area this summer, be prepared for some big changes when you do finally come.
Several projects by the Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks and the Fairbanks North Star Borough have been taking place. There’s too much happening to adequately put it all in one story, so we have three. (A map below shows where the work is happening):
• A new equipment building is being built off the main road to the rec area (photo included): http://www.nscfairbanks.org/index.php/trails/991-new-building-to-house-ski-club-grooming-equipment
• Our existing trails have also been modified to accommodate some upcoming races and to make them more groomer-friendly (photo included): http://www.nscfairbanks.org/index.php/trails/989-birch-hill-trails-modified-for-upcoming-major-races-improved-grooming
• A new trail is being built on the south side of Birch Hill on Fort Wainwright land (map and photos included): http://www.nscfairbanks.org/index.php/trails/990-sunnyside-trail-will-connect-outhouse-loop-to-fort-wainwright
In addition to all that work, a few other things have also been happening at Birch Hill:
- The Birch Hill Cross Country Ski Center will be getting a new coat of paint.
- A group of volunteers from the Church of Latter Day Saints did some heavy-duty brushing around the upper and lower parking lots and near the ski center.
- A new communications wire may connect the Timing Hut to the ski center, which should improve the Internet connection (which should improve the reliability of the Birch Hill weather station).