Since 1988 the Sonot Kkaazoot has served as Interior Alaska’s springtime celebration of the return of longer days and faster snow. The race was conceived (and for many years organized) by Bad Bob Baker and his extended family. The Sonot Kkaazoot has never been canceled although the route has changed over the years. The name derives from a Koyukon Athabascan word which translates roughly as 'sliding around in springtime'.
The 30th annual Sonot Kkaazoot race will take place on March 25, 2017, and will feature four events with staggered starts:
- 50 km classic, Mass start at 9:30 a.m.
- 50 km freestyle, Mass start at 10:00 a.m.
- 40 km freestyle, Mass start at 10:00 a.m. (includes all of 50 km course except for Competition, Black Hole, North 40, Blue & Outhouse trails)
- 20 km freestyle, Mass start at 10:30 a.m. (Chena River only)
CLICK HERE to go to the Sonot Kkaazoot registration page. ALL REGISTRATION IS ONLINE - no paper forms!
All events start and finish on the Chena River at the Centennial Bridge (downtown).
For more information see the Sonot Kkaazoot website.
Early registration for the 2014 Sonot Kkaazoot 25/40/50 km ski race ends February 28. After that date registration fees increase by $10, so get your entry in soon and join the fun in Fairbanks' premier ski marathon. The preferred method of entry is online via the NSCF Memberclicks site.
Deadline for early registration online is midnight on Februray 28. If you are unable to register online, paper registration forms are available at Beaver Sports, Goldstream Sports, and Raven Cross Country or can be downloaded here. returned by mail, or dropped off at Beaver Sports, Goldstream Sports, and Raven Cross Country in Fairbanks. Final deadline for receipt of paper entries is before 5 p.m. on 21 March 2014.
For more information visit the Sonot Kkaazoot website.
- Written by gary
- Category: Sonot Kkaazoot
REGISTER ONLINE HAS CLOSED...
If you missed ONLINE registration for the SONOT or Bib Pick-Up, there is one last chance to join the party on the river:
Day of Race bib pick-up and registration: 8 to 9 a.m. Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 Doyon Limited, Headquarters - 1 Doyon Place, downtown Fairbanks
-- 20 km events: $55 -skiers 16 or younger, $70 -skiers 17 or older
-- 40 km and 50 km events: $80
* To change events at this point, you must surrender the bib that you’ve been assigned and you will be charged a fee of $40 in addition to what you’ve already paid. Remember: your start time and finish time will be recorded according to the event that you are registered for; there will be no exceptions to this.
**No refunds – the Sonot Kkaazoot has never been cancelled!
- Category: Sonot Kkaazoot